Sick and Strange Behavior?

Is your fish suddenly under the weather? This forum will serve to offer the quickest reaction for emergency cases. Please... no conversations off topic on this board.

Moderators: OSpot Team Leader, OSpot Team

Sick and Strange Behavior?

Postby AZosian » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:33 am

OK this is referring to my largest Oscar (Stimpy).

Size: 16 inches
Type: Albino, doesn't matter I think
Symptoms: Big patch on side of body that is peeling off and is continuing to grow and peel off, and once peeled off its just like white raw scales. And also he just recently had hole in head but that healed over fine but he has gone from eating out of my hand, and being able to pet him, to hes afraid of me and literally swims as fast as he can to the other side of the tank immediately to me walking over to him and back to the other side for as long as I keep following him from side to side. He also has become like slow and doesn't react to other Oscars pushing or brushing against him, He just kinda floats all day. Also he never leaves the air bubbles he floats right above the air bubbles coming out of the stone.

-Size of tank: 220 Gallons
-Filtration on the tank: Custom Slow sand, carbon polish with a RO system recycle.
-All fish in the tank and their sizes: Him, 4 oscars all about 5 inches
-Water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, etc.): PH is 7.71 i have a digital reader, and ammonia and nitrite are fine
-How long the tank has been set up: This tank 6 months
-What you feed the tank: Hikari Blue Bag, Goldfish, Crickets, Geckos, grapes, occasional little rodent for laughs.
-What you have done so far to correct any problems (meds, temp, salt, water changes, etc.): No meds, temp 81 (thats what i always keep it at), 1 every week and a half 50% water change.

2005 SVT Cobra Powered 95 Mighty Max
AZosian
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Sick and Strange Behavior?

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 am

Can you give us numbers for the water readings instead of fine.

Does he look to be breathing heavier? or scratching?

81 is a bit high temp wise and 80 is better and I wouldn't feed goldfish to your Oscars as they can carry disease and parasites this Article gives info on feeders.

The picture looks a bit like slime coat shedding so water reading numbers would help
Gerry
Oscar
Oscar

Postby AZosian » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:58 am

Alright I can cut back on goldfish I never really heard anything about goldfish but I am not gonna doubt anyone, and what would be a good temp for the tank? you say 80? And thanks for the article. Also pic posted of the sore.
AZosian
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby AZosian » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:32 am

K I was thinking maybe i should stay up a bit and test my water even though it was fine about 4 days ago which was was 24hours hours after my last 50% water change. So I just tested it and the levels of everything changed a bit . . .

Ammonia 1.5ppm, Nitrite 5.5ppm, Nitrate 30ppm.
How can everything jump so high so fast?
AZosian
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Paul, The Engineer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:36 am

so the water reading indicates trouble. another large water change is a must.
how did you handle filtering system recently??? any cleaning???
i am a little bit confused, 6 years old oscar but tank is 6 months set up?
the picture of the oscar shows it is really an old oscar already, the upper jaw is
shorter than the lower jaw, normal to old oscar unless it is inborn.

81 deg F could makes your oxygen level low, thus aeration is needed or additional
air stone. a dose of pure salt could help enhance oxygenation (1 tbs per 25 gal water)
a journey to a thousand miles always start with a single step,
all you have to do is move forward, aim, and respect the pathways
of others along the way.
Paul, The Engineer
Auratus
Auratus

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:28 am

I'm with Paul, this looks like your filters crashed, did you clean it out recently, do a water change without adding conditioner (dechlorinator)
Gerry
Oscar
Oscar

Postby Angie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:08 am

O's do not need any live food. Please read the link provided.
The tank looks a little cloudy I would start doing water changes. How often and how much do you do normally? Also what size tank were they all in 6 months ago?

Two Oscars in the 150 gallon tank.
75 gallon with goldfish
35 gallon flat back hex planted community tank.

In marriage, each partner is to be an encourager rather than a critic, a forgiver rather than a collector of hurts, an enabler rather than a reformer. H. Norman Wright and Gary J. Oliver
Angie
Auratus
Auratus

Postby amyabe2001 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 am

Hi
Agree, I would be doing at least 80percent water changes ... Your water should clear up the more you do.. I think he's peeling b/c he's got ammonia burn.. Water changes should help that.
I would stay away from live foods like feeders and rodents.. It's not nessesary to feed them..
Oscars eat fruits, vegetables,krill, pellets,worms, crickects,etc..
110 Gallon- 1- Red Oscar(My Boy), 1- Lutino Oscar(Sugar), and 1 - Common Pleco
75 Gallon- 1 -Lutino Oscar(Alby), 1-Jack Dempsey(Jack), and 1-Goldspot Pleco
amyabe2001
Red Devil
Red Devil

Postby callen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:25 am

Image and sorry your O is not well and I agree with the advise given. Large water changes and a good diet will do wonders. Fingers crossed for you and your O.
Choose your thoughts carefully .. you are a masterpiece of your life.
~Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carolyn
callen
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Postby AZosian » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:05 pm

Sorry for the confusion but my first tank some 5 1/2 years ago was a 110 gallon and just my large albino (Stimpy) existed, but I built a larger tank to hold my new Oscars i was planning on getting.
AZosian
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby AZosian » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:18 pm

ok so im currently doing like a 90% water change and when i was cleaning my sand ALOT of bubbles were comming out of the sand and it smelt bad, i have never had this before when I cleaned my sand but I removed all the sand I am gonna go with gravel now. Is it bad to have just a glass bottom for the fish for a little while?
AZosian
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby donsfish » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:27 pm

I believe the bubbles and smell are hydrogen sulfide building up in the sand, probably would have happened with gravel also is my guess. Had that happen after I set up a new tank, fishless cycled, added fish and since they were still so small in a huge tank I didn't do a thorough vacuum for the first few weeks, just mainly siphoned and changes water. The first time I really got the vacuum going there was a fair amount of bubbles and that rotten egg smell. Too much of that in the tank is bad news for the fish besides the high levels of other stuff in your water tests. Since then I make it a point to stir up the substrate occasionally even while the tank is still cycling.
Any day is a good day for watching the fish swim........
donsfish
OSpot Team
OSpot Team

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:31 pm

sand and deep gravel need a slight stir at water change time to stop build up of gasses from anearobic bacteria
Gerry
Oscar
Oscar

Return to 911 Emergency