Tankmates

If your questions or comments do not involve Cichlids or Saltwater fishkeeping then this is the board you are looking for.

Moderators: OSpot Team Leader, OSpot Team

Tankmates

Postby ZaffLee » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:12 am

Okay, so I got my 120. Tell me if these are good tankmates.
4 Bala Sharks (One large, three mediums)
Medium Chocolate Albino Plco
Striped Raphael Catfish
Needlenose Gar
Algea Eater
Snail
Crayfish

The crayfish and algea eater are ALWAYS hiding in the plants and caves. The catfish suctions itself into a VERY, VERY small space and stays hidden until midnight. The snail just hangs out. Bala sharks usually hang out bottom/medium level and scavenge for food. The plco is either hiding, or hanging off a random cave. The needlenose is, of course, at the top of the aquarium.

Who should I remove?
ZaffLee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Tankmates

Postby Samuel Garza » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:35 am

i dont see any problems wiht the set up, what do u mean by who should i remove?
  ???
i am not very good wiht the water conditions required for all those species but i see a good tank( i would put some more in there but that is just me) :goof:
Samuel Garza
Convict
Convict

Postby ZaffLee » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:40 am

Samuel Garza wrote:i dont see any problems wiht the set up, what do u mean by who should i remove?
  ???
i am not very good wiht the water conditions required for all those species but i see a good tank( i would put some more in there but that is just me) :goof:

I didn't expect my tank to actually work! :D
ZaffLee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Sharn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:40 am

id definatly ditch at least 2 balas, they grow real big and are fast fish and a 125 wont be able to provide the swimming room with four in there.

im not up on gars and i cant find the max size of them at present (google says anywhere from 12" to 51") so someone else can chime in on that one.

the rapheal will be ok. unsure what species the choc albino pleco is, do you have an L number or are you meaning the 'commons'? what type of algae eater?

your snail and cray will be fine as long as they can stay away from the fish that want to eat them  :D

remember- when your wanting to house fish always accomdate for their maximum size as that saves the hassles of having to rehome them later down the track  :fro:
Sharn
Jack Dempsey
Jack Dempsey

Postby ZaffLee » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:09 pm

Okay, I can move two of the balas in a 55 gallon for a bit, then into a 110 gallon at my friend's house.
ZaffLee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Shark Bait » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:07 pm

I aggree that 4 balas is too many.

But you've got that sorted out already so thats good.

The gar should be fine in that tank for a time, but my guess is that he will reach a length that the 120 will not be able to accomodate eventually.
Most Gar get pretty darn long. So i think he'll eventually need a wider tank. But he'll work in there for a little while (not sure how fast they grow)

The pleco and raphael are no problem
Neither are the crayfish and snail. (Just dont get too attached to them)

With the gar, pleco,raphael, and 2 balas, you arent really overstocked or anything. You could afford another fish. You just need to watch their growth and find a home for the gar if its getting too long. If it were me (just personal opinion) I would ditch the pleco and get something that poops a little less.
Thats mostly if its a common pleco. The smaller species are no big deal.
Shark Bait
Red Devil
Red Devil

Postby ZaffLee » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:07 am

Shark Bait wrote:I aggree that 4 balas is too many.

But you've got that sorted out already so thats good.

The gar should be fine in that tank for a time, but my guess is that he will reach a length that the 120 will not be able to accomodate eventually.
Most Gar get pretty darn long. So i think he'll eventually need a wider tank. But he'll work in there for a little while (not sure how fast they grow)

The pleco and raphael are no problem
Neither are the crayfish and snail. (Just dont get too attached to them)

With the gar, pleco,raphael, and 2 balas, you arent really overstocked or anything. You could afford another fish. You just need to watch their growth and find a home for the gar if its getting too long. If it were me (just personal opinion) I would ditch the pleco and get something that poops a little less.
Thats mostly if its a common pleco. The smaller species are no big deal.

Sorry, I got confused. It isn't a gar, it's a needlefish. Similar, but not quite the same. They need a minimum of a 70 gallon so he should be fine. Glad to hear about the pleco and catfish, especially since it isn't a common pleco. And my snail and crayfish should be fine, too. I have three caves. Two large, one small. The crayfish usually hides in the plants all day, and leaves for his cave at night. Not sure what he'll do when it comes to shedding, but he should be fine for a while. He's not exactly "small". The snail is quite large, too. It's a yellow mystery snail.
ZaffLee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby tomiosis » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:29 am

FYI.. a needle fish is a gar, Needle Nose Gar, Silver Needle Nose, Freshwater Garfish, Silver needlefish, Stickfish are all common names for this fish, it is generally accepted that it gets to be around 12-15" but it has been known to get 22-25" in a proper brackish environment.(it is a brackish fish) ::)
"musharing dumadoo dumadaaah!" metallica =)
tomiosis
Auratus
Auratus

Postby Shark Bait » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:15 pm

I've seen those for sale in "The other pet store".
You probably have Xenentodon cancila.  THey get around 12-13". They are freshwater/brakish. But since you have plecos, you wont be able to make it a brakish tank. He could do fine in a freshwater, but time will tell.
He should do fine in a 120.  :fro:

They can open their mouths extremely wide and will try to eat most anything smaller than them and in some cases, larger than them. > so keep an eye out for the snail and crayfish in the future.

THey do best in a school, so if you wanted, you could get 1 or 2 more. But i would not get any other fish. They tend to spook easily.
They will spook and jump against your hood, so You'll want a good fitting hood. Though they can hurt themselves pretty bad when they hit it, so do what you can to prevent him from getting spooked  .I would use quite a few plants in your tank. You'll want to provide more cover.
Last edited by Shark Bait on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shark Bait
Red Devil
Red Devil

Postby ZaffLee » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Shark Bait wrote:I've seen those for sale in "The other pet store".
You probably have Xenentodon cancila.  THey get around 12-13". They are freshwater/brakish. But since you have plecos, you wont be able to make it a brakish tank. He could do fine in a freshwater, but time will tell.
He should do fine in a 120.  :fro:

They can open their mouths extremely wide and will try to eat most anything smaller than them and in some cases, larger than them. > so keep an eye out for the snail and crayfish in the future.

THey do best in a school, so if you wanted, you could get 1 or 2 more. But i would not get any other fish. They tend to spook easily.
They will spook and jump against your hood, so You'll want a good fitting hood. Though they can hurt themselves pretty bad when they hit it, so do what you can to prevent him from getting spooked  .I would use quite a few plants in your tank. You'll want to provide more cover.

You're right. And I looked somethings up, and some guy said he keeps his in freshwater and despite rumors, they do best in FW. So I think I'll be alright for a while. I am getting one more so he'll be happier. I have a heavy glass hood, so odds are he's staying right where he is.
ZaffLee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Samuel Garza » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:03 pm

sorry about that, i have never seen balas that big even thou i have read about their max size i dint think about it. is ur 120 a long or square tank? if long 2 should be just fine. 
Samuel Garza
Convict
Convict

Postby ZaffLee » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:31 pm

Samuel Garza wrote:sorry about that, i have never seen balas that big even thou i have read about their max size i dint think about it. is ur 120 a long or square tank? if long 2 should be just fine. 

I've seen bala shark pics, but none of them ever look "huge". I mean, they're big, but not as big as everyone is making them out to be.
ZaffLee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Shark Bait » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:49 pm

Well, they do get big. Around a foot each. That certainly is not the biggest fish in the home aquaria, but a foot is a lot of fish and 4 of them would be too much.  We just like to list the fish's potential size. It might take them a while to get that big, sure.
Shark Bait
Red Devil
Red Devil

Postby ZaffLee » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:15 pm

Shark Bait wrote:Well, they do get big. Around a foot each. That certainly is not the biggest fish in the home aquaria, but a foot is a lot of fish and 4 of them would be too much.  We just like to list the fish's potential size. It might take them a while to get that big, sure.

Okay. I had gotten confused because a foot isn't that big of a fish to me. That's just how it is with me with the fish I've been raised with.
ZaffLee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Sharn » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:30 pm

an adult bala shark is small to me too but everyones ideas of small and large fish/tanks varies- some people think a firemouth is a massive fish while others think a 70cm arowana is tiny  :laugh:

your tank will be fine for two and you may find you have room for one more if you change your stocking around but with the gars in there it will be quite a busy tank and will have at least 5 decent sized fish in it- just my opinion  ;)
Sharn
Jack Dempsey
Jack Dempsey

Return to All Other Fish