Oscar Fish Scales

Is your fish suddenly under the weather? This forum will serve to offer the quickest reaction for emergency cases. Please... no conversations off topic on this board.

Moderators: OSpot Team Leader, OSpot Team

Oscar Fish Scales

Postby Serena » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:10 am

I have two babie oscar fish right now growing in a 10 gallon tank just until I sent up my big tank. I had a bottom feeder (suckerfish) in my tank along with my two babies. With this oscars being a high waste producer I have a underground filter and a water filter. I went to change the water today and realized my oscar has white scales on one side, and his fins apeared to be slightly beat up. It wasnt bad though Not horrific or anything just concerning...

Anyways, cleaning my tank i remove my fish every 2 weeks to completly clean my tank and well taking my oscars didnt see my sucker fish... however when i pulled out my filter his head was still there.. :'( so this maybe caused his problems? I keep the tank really clean and have a varying diet. I turned the temp up to about 82 and added a little salt to help irritation which i had previously read from anohter bullitin. My oscars eyes are usually orange but are turning blue however i added ich solution thinking when it first occured thats what it was. so maybe the blue dyed it?

Ive read that gel stuff would work but need to know where to get it and how much on average it is. So i dont know what to do with them. they get along fine and all so is it just the bottom feeders body that ruined it and if i keep it clean it will be fine?

also my oscar isnt eating anything :(((
thank you

<serena>
Last edited by Serena on Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serena
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Oscar Fish Scales

Postby danfish » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:33 am

Dont take your fish out to clean your tank, it just stresses them. Do weekly, or with your size tank, two or three times weekly water changes up to 50 percent or more. Get a gravel vac (they're cheap), and syphon the crud from the bottom. Dont go overboard with the meds, clean water will cure most ailements.

Get that bigger tank soon as possible! I'd say a minimum of 90 but 120 gallons or over would be best! Your two O's deserve it and they will thank you for it.

Others will elaborate more on the white spot

Dan
danfish
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Antonia » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:03 am

Hi, and welcome to the ospot :) .Was your tank cycled before you got your Oscars?.I'm afraid underground filters don't work well for cichlids.Filters need to be 10x volume per hour for internals and hobs,and 5x volume per hour for canisters.Dan's got you covered with the tank size.An upgrade to a bigger tank will make the care of your new O's a lot less work.I hope that helps,a member with more experience with 911 will be able to help you some more. :fro:
"Happy Birthday Red" our Oscar ....Feb/2008
Antonia
Jack Dempsey
Jack Dempsey

Postby JohnL » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:29 am

Hi and welcome. Here are some articles you may want to read through they will help you get a handle on keeping fish.

Claening
Testing
Filters
Basic O setup
Tank cycling
Salt
ENTER OUR PHOTO OF THE MONTH CONTEST
Please send your entry for POTM to johnl@theoscarspot.com
View entries, winning photos, and Slide Shows Here
Visit us on FaceBook
JohnL
OSpot Team Leader
OSpot Team Leader

Postby Gerry » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:34 am

john has you covered for what I was going to post
Gerry
Oscar
Oscar

Postby Alan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:11 am

hi and welcome to the site
if your tottally emptying the tank and cleaning it out your not letting the tank cycle , ie letting the nitrifying bacteria build up and you may get ammonnia and nitrite issues , as stated above you need to do regular partial water changes with dechlorinated water to keep these in check , the links John posted will help you to understand whats going on in the tank just now
Eternal Battle of Wills
Man V Cichlid
ImageImageImage
Alan
OSpot Team
OSpot Team

Postby callen » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:35 am

Welcome to the site :fro:

Great advise above and the more info on the water parameteres the better. Do you test your water?

I want to touch on the "blue eyes"...this is what we call cloudy eye and most likely from bad water quality. Start doing water changes as stated above and that should clear up. Do not add anymore meds.

Please let us know how your fish are doing.
Choose your thoughts carefully .. you are a masterpiece of your life.
~Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carolyn
callen
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Postby Serena » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Well today My oscar died... :( The one with the grey scaled side... So idk my other oscar is okay.... and since i thought it was a disease for the last time i took my O out and cleaned the tank completly ie washed everything.... I've done alot of reasearch on them so I'm hoping my other o's will be better. also Is it okay to have a stress coat for them to repair fins and if they hit the sides ect? thanks :)
Serena
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby JohnL » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Sorry you lost one. What do you mean by stress coat? Are you adding something to the tank?
Visit us on FaceBook
JohnL
OSpot Team Leader
OSpot Team Leader

Postby Serena » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:52 pm

i have a "stress coat bottle" it has an aloe like substance to heal fins and replace the slime and it also removes chlorine so I'm wondering if thats safe because my fishy fins have some wear and tear from moving and hitting the sides.
Serena
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Serena » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:55 pm

also it helps support the fish to be able to replace their own slime coat. so not sure....
Serena
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby JohnL » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:01 pm

IMO you don't need it. The best thing is to keep your water clean by doing water changes. Did you read any of the articles I posted?

JohnL wrote:Hi and welcome. Here are some articles you may want to read through they will help you get a handle on keeping fish.

Claening
Testing
Filters
Basic O setup
Tank cycling
Salt
Visit us on FaceBook
JohnL
OSpot Team Leader
OSpot Team Leader

Postby Serena » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:09 pm

yeah i have i just didnt know if they need it or not from being all beat up of if oscars are okay with it
Serena
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Antonia » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:12 pm

Sorry to hear that you lost one. :(
"Happy Birthday Red" our Oscar ....Feb/2008
Antonia
Jack Dempsey
Jack Dempsey

Postby callen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like a bacterial infection caused by water quality as your tank keeps trying to cycle.
Choose your thoughts carefully .. you are a masterpiece of your life.
~Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carolyn
callen
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Next

Return to 911 Emergency